Stone formation in the kidneys due to several reasons is called Kidney Stone Disease. Kidney Stone Problem is a worldwide problem, especially in hot climate areas. Kidney Stones Problems are treatable and preventable.
Kidney Stones Causes
Stones are found in different types. Kidney stone causes depend upon the type and chemical composition of the stone.
Here I am categorizing the general causes and specific causes. General causes affect all type of stone while specific causes may lead to specific kind of stones.
General kidney stones causes
- Hot Climate
- Profuse sweating
- Excessive salt intake
- Excessive sugar intake
- Excessive fat intake
- High animal protein intake
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Low Citrus diet
- Diet containing Phosphorous
- Habit of decreased fluid intake
Specific Kidney Stones Causes
Uric acid Kidney Stones Causes
- Uric acid stone formation takes place when the level of uric acid in the urine becomes too high.
- Taking in Diet large amounts of animal proteins can cause uric acid to build up in the urine, which then leads to uric acid stones.
- The urine becomes too acidic (pH level below 5.5) on a regular basis.
- The uric acid can settle and form a stone only Uric Acid Stone or in combination with uric acid and calcium.
Calcium Oxalate Kidney Stones Causes
- These stones are made from oxalate
- Oxalate is the substance found in foods like green, leafy vegetables
- Oxalate usually combines with calcium.
- When there are too much oxalate or too little urine can lead to Calcium Oxalate Kidney Stones Causes, which crystallize and clump together into stones formation.
- Oxalate stones are usually very painful.
- Calcium oxalate stones are caused by too much oxalate found in the urine.
Cystine Kidney Stones Causes
- Cystine stones are caused by a genetic disorder, which is called “cystinuria.”
- The disorder causes natural substance called cysteine, lysine, arginine, and ornithine, which leak into your urine.
- When there is too much cystine in the urine, then kidney stones formation take place.
- These stones can get stuck in the kidneys, bladder, or anywhere in the urinary tract.
Struvite Kidney Stones Causes
- Struvite stones are caused by an infection in the Kidney.
Kidney Stones Treatment
Kidney stone treatment depends upon the size of the stone.
Kidney Stones Treatment for Less than 9mm stones
These stones usually pass spontaneously, only pain killers may help symptomatically.
Kidney Stones Treatment for 1 cm to 2 cm sized
These stones need Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), where shock waves are used outside the body to break the stone without any intervention.
Kidney Stones Treatment for more than 2 cm stones
These stones usually need intervention
Pyelolithotomy as Kidney Stones Treatment
A large incision is used to remove the stone from the kidney.
PCNL as Kidney Stones Treatment
A minute hole about 1cm incision is used to remove the stone from the kidney.
Laparoscopic Pyelolithotomy as Kidney Stones Treatment
Laparoscopy is used to remove the stone from the kidney.
So if you have a Kidney Stones Disease or Problem. Don’t waste your time and book your appointment immediately.